At IFAST, we excitedly support our clients both in and out of the gym as they pursue personal growth and conscious living. Starting on September 13th, we invite any and all who are interested to join us in a book club for Brené Brown’s, I Thought It Was Just Me: Making the Journey from “What Will People Think” to “I Am Enough”.
Brown’s book explores the concept of shame as the voice of perfectionism. Whether we’re talking about appearance, work, motherhood, health or family, it’s not the quest for perfection that is so painful; it’s failing to meet the unattainable expectations that lead to the painful wash of shame.
Each week, attendees are invited to meet at Bob Evans (96th/I-69, 7525 E 96th St., Indianapolis, IN 46256) to discuss an assigned chapter. Here are some of the general to-keep-in-minds:
- You don’t have to be an IFAST client to join in on the fun. All are welcome.
- Each week is a stand-alone discussion. Join us on the weeks that work for your world. Please only claim tickets for the weeks you’re able to attend.
- Bob Evans is happy to host whether you order dinner, dessert, or a glass of ice water. Everyone pays for themselves.
- Join us even if you haven’t finished the chapter; we’ll help you connect the dots.
- We meet on Tuesday nights from 6-8pm. If you need to duck out early, no worries.
Date / Book Club Content
- SEPT. 13 – Intro & Ch 1 (Understanding Shame)
- SEPT. 20 – No Get Together This Week
- SEPT. 27 – Ch 2 & 3 (Shame Resilience and the Power of Empathy, The First Element: Recognizing Shame and Understanding Our Triggers)
- OCT. 4 – Ch 4 (The Second Element: Practicing Critical Awareness)
- OCT. 11 – Ch 5 (The Third Element: Reaching Out)
- OCT. 18 – Ch 6 (The Fourth Element: Speaking Shame)
- OCT. 25 – Ch 7 (Practicing Courage in a Culture of Fear)
- NOV. 1 – Ch 8 (Practicing Compassion in a Culture of Blame)
- NOV. 8 – Ch 9 (Practicing Connection in a Culture of Disconnection)
- NOV. 15 – Ch 10 (Creating a Culture of Connection)